European Society of Evolutionary Biology (ESEB)
Some History and General Information
The European Society for Evolutionary Biology was founded on 28 August 1987 in Basel (Switzerland), with about 450 evolutionary biologists attending the inaugural congress
of the Society; Arthur Cain became the Society's first president. The founding of the ESEB was closely linked to the launching of the Society's journal, the
Journal of Evolutionary Biology, with Stephen C. Stearns as the first Editor in Chief, and the first issue appearing in January 1988.
See the editorial opening the journal; see also
Steve Stearns' account of the early days of the ESEB.
Since its foundation, the ESEB has grown and matured, with its membership reaching 1700 in 2013 (see graph), while the Journal of Evolutionary Biology became a major journal in the field.
This reflects the growth of the evolutionary biology community in Europe and beyond, which the Society helped to foster. Since 2009, ESEB is registered as a Public Benefit organisation in The Netherlands (Tax number: 8080.77.223). The success of the ESEB would not be possible without many members who
devoted their time and effort to the Society and the journal: elected officers, congress organizers, members of the council, committees and the editorial board of the journal.
Distinguished Fellows of ESEB
Stephen C. Stearns
Past Presidents of ESEB
- 1987-1989: Arthur Cain, Liverpool, UK
- 1989-1991: Bengt Bengtsson, Lund, Sweden
- 1991-1993: John Maynard Smith, Brighton, UK
- 1993-1995: John Harper, Bangor, Wales
- 1995-1997: Wim Scharloo, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- 1997-1999: Stephen Stearns, Basel, Switzerland
- 1999-2001: Godfrey Hewitt, Norwich, UK
- 2001-2003: Deborah Charlesworth, Edinburgh, UK
- 2003-2005: Rolf Hoekstra, Wageningen, The Netherlands
- 2005-2007: Paul Brakefield, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 2007-2009: Isabelle Olivieri, Montpellier, France
- 2009-2011: Siv Andersson, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2011-2013: Brian Charlesworth, Edinburgh, UK
General Members’ Meeting
Every two years all members of the Society are invited to the General members’ Meeting, which takes place during the biennial ESEB congress. The meeting minutes are publicly available:
The ESEB constitution is available in PDF format in English. Members may request a copy by sending an email to the ESEB office (email@example.com).
The congresses are held every other year.
The next congress will be held in Lausanne, Switzerland in August 2015 and will be organised by Nicolas Perrin.
- 1987 in Basel; Organiser Stephen C. Stearns
- 1989 in Rome; Organiser Valerio Sbordoni
- 1991 in Debrecen; Organiser Gabor Vida
- 1993 in Montpellier; Organiser François Catzeflis
- 1995 in Edinburgh; Organiser Nick Barton
- 1997 in Arnhem; Organiser Jos van Damme
- 1999 in Barcelona; Organiser Antionio Fontdevilla
- 2001 in Århus; Organiser Volker Loeschcke
- 2003 in Leeds; Organiser Roger Butlin
- 2005 in Krakow; Organiser Jan Kozlowski
- 2007 in Uppsala; Organisers Jacob Höglund, Jon Ågren, and Mats Björklund
- 2009 in Torino; Organisers Cristina Lorenzi and Gabriella Sella
- 2011 in Tübingen; Organiser Nico Michiels
- 2013 in Lisbon; Organiser Octávio S. Paulo
The congresses are held every six years jointly together with the American Society of Naturalists (ASN),
the Canadian Society for Ecology and Evolution (CSEE), the Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE), and the Society of Systematic Biologists (SSB).
The next congress will be held in 2018.
Last updated September 30, 2013. For suggestions or comments please send an e-mail.